Questions: 03/26/2018

•Helen Wilson notes that voices do not just transfer information. Voices also “make” spaces by contributing volume, intonation, frequency, pitch and accent as a nexus point for identity and socio-political conditions. Additionally, these voices or “vocal utterances offer their own auditory geography. What voices have stood out to you and why? (Think cultural/political/historical influence)
•What does it mean to listen through place and not just to it?
•Consider a cause related to social justice that could be approached through sound. What would you do? How would you capture the sound? How would the sound contribute to the cause or issue you selected?


One universal sound that I think pepole can think of is medication commercials. After every one of these commercials, there is a slew of information and disclaimers about defects that can occur when taking this medication. This brings senses of discomfort to me and unkowningness. Reminds me specifically of just sitting in my room listening to these commercials. Another sound that isn't quite as universal is the sound of a piano. To me, whenever I hear a piano, I am transported back to my youth with my piano teacher criticizing every move that I make.
It more or less reminded me of a Sherlock Holmes quote where he basicall says to Watson that he has seen but not observed. When we listen to a sound in a location, it is difficult to determine waht is effecting you psychologically. When we are put in traumatic situations, the sounds we hear change as we interpret them. The sound of shattering plate may mean nothing to one person but could bring back some memory for another.

One thing that I can think of is the day without women that happened in America a few months ago. You could go to different places of work and record sounds from a day before and during those dyas to determine the difference in sound. I am curious to see what would happen and how they would be different when compared to each toher. Because I wan tto do this side by side comparison, we would need to be a bit more meticulous and try to emulate the same day for both instances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Script (Rough Cut) - Sound Memoir